Homemade Almond Joy & Mounds Bars
In a mixing bowl, mix the coconut mixture ingredients together until fully combined. Mixture should loosely hold its shape when squeezed together in your palm. If mixture is not holding its shape or is too dry, add 1 Tbsp. sweetener or coconut oil until it resembles wet sand and sticks together.
Makes 12 bars
Submitted by Marley Braunlich | Baked Abundance
These homemade Almond Joy and Mounds Bars are perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth, and they make for a fantastic gift or treat for friends and family. Enjoy the rich, sweet and nutty flavors in each bite, and savor the satisfaction of creating a classic candy favorite from scratch!
- 2 cups unsweetened desiccated/shredded coconut
- 4 Tbsp. agave nectar or honey
- 3 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 2 Tbsp. coconut milk
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 6 raw almonds
- A few drops almond and/or coconut extract, optional
½ cup Navitas Organics Semi-Sweet Cacao Wafers
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
½ cup Navitas Organics Bittersweet Cacao Wafers
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
Almond Joy Chocolate Coating:
Mounds Chocolate Coating:
- In a mixing bowl, mix the coconut mixture ingredients together until fully combined. Mixture should loosely hold its shape when squeezed together in your palm. If mixture is not holding its shape or is too dry, add 1 Tbsp. sweetener or coconut oil until it resembles wet sand and sticks together.
- Divide coconut mixture into two bowls, one for almond joys and one for mounds. Optional: Add a few drops of almond extract to almond joy mixture and a few drops of coconut extract to mounds mixture to elevate flavors.
- Use a small cookie scoop to portion out coconut mixture into 12 equal portions. (6 of each kind).
- Shape into an oval and firmly press mixture together to hold its shape. Place each oval onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Press one raw almond on top of 6 ovals.
- Place coconut ovals in freezer for at least 30 minutes before coating in melted chocolate.
- Melt bittersweet cacao wafers and coconut oil in a small bowl in the microwave for 15-second intervals, stirring in between, until fully melted. Do not overheat. Repeat for semi-sweet wafers.
- Using a fork and spoon, coat frozen coconut ovals in melted chocolate. Use a spoon to pour chocolate over almonds so they don’t fall off. Note: Almond joys get coated in semi-sweet cacao wafers and mounds get coated in bittersweet cacao wafers.
- Refrigerate bars for up to 7 days. Enjoy chilled.