½ Cup powdered Sugar (+ 1/3 Cup divided)
½ tsp Cinnamon
½ Cup coarsely ground Hazelnuts
⅓ Cup Butter (sottened? at room temp)
¼ tsp Salt
2 Tbsp Navitas Organics Cacao Nibs
2 Tbsp unsweetened Apple Sauce
1 Cup White Whole Wheat Flour
1 tsp Vanilla
1 tsp Water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toast hazelnuts in the oven for approximately 10 min? and then rub them between your fingers to remove the outer skin. Then? grind them in a food processor until they are fine? but not a powder.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- In a mixer? cream the butter until it is smooth.
- Add the applesauce and 1/2 cup powdered sugar? and continue to cream together.
- After a minute or so? slowly add the flour? cinnamon? and salt. It will become thick dough.
- Add the vanilla and the water.
- Finally add the hazelnuts and the cacao nibs? mixing until the dough is just incorporated.
- Place the dough in a bowl? covered with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Put the remaining 1/3 cup powdered sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
- Prepare two baking sheets with parchment or silicone mats. Use a teaspoon (from your set of measuring spoons) to scoop the dough into even balls? rolling them in your hands after you scoop them to make them more round. You can place a lot more cookies on each baking sheet because they are pretty small and won’t spread while baking (20 or more cookies per sheet).
- Bake for 18-20 min? but don’t let the cookies get very brown (remove when they were just starting to get golden).
- Transfer the cookies? a few at a time? immediately into the powdered sugar? rolling them until they have a thin coating? then placing them on a wrack to cool (place some paper towels under a cooling wrack to collect the powdered sugar that will fall).
- Finally? after they are cooled? use the last of the powdered sugar from the bowl (or you may need 1-2 Tbsp. more)? to sprinkle over the top of the cookies (you can use a small sifter). Enjoy!
Makes: ~46 cookies
Submitted by: Melissa Karras - Treats with a Twist